What you need to know about visa applications.

Citizens of the European Union, the European Economic Area, and of Switzerland, including their family members, do not require a visa for entry or a permit for a longer stay. They only need a valid passport or identity card. If you are planning a longer stay in Germany (longer than three months), you have to register at the residents' registration office in Jena.

Non-EU citizens require a visa to enter Germany. A visa can usually be obtained from the German embassies abroad. Depending on the duration and purpose of your stay, you will need a Schengen visa (research stay up to three months) or a national visa (research stay over three months).

For non-EU citizens, who have to enter with a visa, a stay beyond the visa’s period of validity must be authorized. You have to apply for a residence permit after arrival in Jena. This also applies to foreigners who were allowed to enter Germany for a stay of up to three months without a visa.

Please do not enter Germany with a tourist visa. This kind of visa cannot be changed into a residence permit easily and will usually require you to leave. There are different types of visa residence permit depending on your individual situation.
For further information please see:

Go to Editor View